pardon the interruption @ IBM Connect 2013

I have the pleasure of working with many creative and talented individuals. And it’s my pleasure to be able to join a couple of my favorites for a session at IBM Connect 2013.

Last year I submitted a similar session titled “A manager, an ambassador and an evangelist walk into a bar” (Benitez is a product manager, Suarez is a Blue IQ Ambassador and I’m a Social Business Evangelist). Anyway, I think I got a bit too creative for those evaluating sessions. This year we toned it down and bit and our session was accepted.

I’m a big fan of keeping it simple. Albert Einstein is quoted “If you can’t explain it to a six year old, you don’t understand it yourself.” I also love Ernest Hemingway’s concept of 6-word stories.

So with that in mind, we’re going to take 12-14 topics/questions and give each one 3 minutes (1 minute from each of us)…so it’s going to be fast paced and on-topic (no time for rambling).

However, the key to this session is you. The entire content is based on your suggested topics. If you have a question or a topic you’d like to hear our opinions on, tweet them using #PTIsocialBiz. We will collect these up to the day before the session and select the top dozen or so. If you see one already tweeted that you like, please retweet it. For us, that’s another vote for the topic or question.

Thanks in advance for you input and participation. And if you’re coming to IBM Connect 2013, be sure to put Session INV204 on your list of sessions. It’s scheduled to be on Tuesday afternoon, 5:30-6:30 in Macaw 2.

We look forward to hearing from you and seeing you there.

8 comments

1. [...] event in Orlando, Florida, January 29th at 5:30 to 6:30 pm ET, under the session heading “Pardon the Interruption on Social Business” that both Louis and Luis have been blogging about it already in their blogs, respectively. [...]

2. [...] when on Tuesday 29th at 5:30pm local time, we will go up on stage to kick off our session on “Pardon the Interruption at IBM Connect 2013” around Social Business, Adoption Techniques, Enablement, Collaboration, Online Communities [...]

3. Andrew Carusone says:

Question? If we know we can’t train people to work socially, and we know we can’t teach people to be “more social”, are we wasting time and resources chasing adoption past a natural point? Perhaps we would be better served to simply change the working environment around existing workers and provide the means (technology, new cultural norms, etc.) for people to adapt or move on?

Is it the best investment of resources to attempt to re-engineer a 20th century workforce and mindset for a 21st market and opportunies? Would we be better served to invest in a new kind of employee and capability set?

4. Alicia Montoya says:

Thanks for asking! Yes, I’d love you to cover one of the biggest challenges my organization faces (and reiterating Andrew’s point above):

How do we transcend the old communication culture (one-way, top-to-bottom, conservative… anti-social;) and tools?

Our executives, experts and staff (myself included) are overwhelmed with information. Until we don’t streamline platforms and integrate functions into fewer and more customized tools, how can we ask them to find time to be social?

And how important is it for an organization’s experts, leaders & staff to be socially connected, internally and externally? I realize that’s a huge question but choose the aspects you find most relevant.

Will the session be streamed? Would love to follow from Zurich!
    Have a good one,
    Alicia

• Administrator says:

We’re planning to cover some of your topics in our session. I’m not sure if it’s going to be streamed. Hopefully, at the minimum, it will be video taped and we can post the replay somewhere.
      I’ll be glad to come back to this post and answer your concerns after the session tomorrow.
      Thanks for your interest and questions.
      Louis

5. Rayomand Sui says:

Hi,
    Having read through customer case studies and ROI examples its clear how Social Business helps large organizations and some medium scaled organizations that are geographically dispersed.
    What about the Small scale organizations?
    Do you see much value for small scale organizations to adopt Social Business using IBM Connections? Would there be any ROI benefits for small organizations?
    I am curious to understand this to see if the small organizations are worth talking to about Social Business.

Same question as Alicia above – Will this session be covered via live streaming?

Thanks
    Rayomand
    ICS CTP NZ

• Administrator says:

Rayomand,
      I’m not sure if the session is going to be streamed. I’m hoping it is at least going to be video recorded…and if so, I’ll see when I can get a copy and post.
      As for your “if the small organizations are worth talking to about Social Business”, the answer is YES…for a couple of reasons.
      First, social business is about culture and the great thing about small companies are their ability to change culture more quickly than a large organization. Getting 50-100 people to agree to a culture of sharing and “family” is much easier than getting 400,000 people.
      Second, your organization may be small, but unless you are in a unique position, you probably have trading/business partners and hopefully you have customers. They should be considered as part of your social reach. So now…how large is your social organization?
      Hope this helps and hopefully the session is going to be streamed.
      Louis

6. Emma says:

I see a lot of interesting articles on your website.
    You have to spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save
    you a lot of time, there is a tool that creates unique, google
    friendly articles in couple of minutes, just type in google – k2